Himalaya 2009 climbing season, Karakoram and Himalaya wrap-up : Lhotse and Manaslu’s summiteers celebrating – Kangchenjunga climbers stuck in BC fog, over for Makalu West Pillar.

May 22, 2009
(MountEverest.net) Summiteers are reaching base camps to rest and celebrate. Gerl, Ralf & Co are already at Lhotse’s base, and Nick Rice has climbed down from Manaslu. Going up instead, Poles on Nanda Devi East might soon reach the top.

14x8000er summiteer Alberto Iñurrategi and his team will have to wait a year before launching another attempt on Makalu’s west pillar. The season is coming to an end with forecasts showing no window ahead.

On Kangchenjunga, teams back from the upper slopes, exhausted and in some cases possibly frostbitten, just want the fog to lift in order to catch a chopper out. Manaslu Rice New

Manaslu’s Nick Rice update: I made it!

“Got to the top in perfect weather at 11:30am on May 19th,” American Nick Rice reported safely back in BC yesterday.

Kangchenjunga – Thick fog in BC

While frostbitten Edurne Pasaban and Alex are arriving back in Spain today, team mates Juan Oiarzabal, Ferran Latorre, Asier Izaguirre and Jorge Egocheaga are still stuck on Kangch’s glacier. Thick fog has kept the chopper grounded – hopefully the team will be airlifted from Ramche village tomorrow, weather permitting.

Lhotse: Gerlinde & Co safe back in BC

Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner, Ralf Dujmovits, Hiro takeuchi and David Göttler are back in BC after summiting Lhotse on Wednesday.

Makalu West Pillar: Not this year

Alberto Iñurrategi, Mikel Zabalza and Juan Vallejo have run out of time, without a chance to launch a third attempt on Makalu west pillar. “The guys are disappointed, but decided to come back for another alpine style attempt as soon as possible,” BC crew reported.

Nanda Devi East: Summit Push about to start

“Jarek Wocko and Daniel Cieszynki finished fixing ropes on the three pinnacles before the summit ridge,” the Polish team reported. “Marcin Miotk, Grzegorz Mróz and Jan Lenczewski are on the ridge now, trying to set the Camp II at 6500 m.”

Nanda Devi d New

”After a short break in BC Jarek and Daniel will set off towards the summit. If the weather is good they could reach it in a few days time.”

Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.

e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928

* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com

AddThis Feed Button

zapraszam do subskrypcji mego bloga

2 Responses

  1. Очень хороший пост! Спасибо за проделанную работу!

  2. I dream one day to know this beautiful place… One day… I know…
    Perhaps in spirit…

    Thanks for giving me an opportunity to see it again

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: