Author : Kraig Becker.
Yesterday I posted the news that a Sherpa was already plotting to break Jordan Romero’s recently claimed record as the youngest person to summit Everest. The 13-year old American topped out on May 22nd, and now Pemba Dorje Sherpa is looking for an even younger climber to guide to the summit in order to break that record, possibly even his own son, who will turn 10 later this year.
In that story that I posted yesterday I noted that Nepal has an age requirement for climbing Everest, and won’t issue permits to anyone under the age of 16. I wrote that Pemba was hoping to get special permission to allow him to take a Nepali child to the summit, and later Alan Arnette, who first wrote about this story, posted a comment correcting my story, saying that permission had already been granted. Today we have even more information, courtesy of this story from the Himalayan Times.
In this article Pemba says that the Nepal’s Ministry of Tourism has already agreed to allow him to make an attempt on the summit with a young child during the 2011 climbing season. Furthermore, the Sherpa has returned to his home village to look for a suitable young man or woman to join his expedition, but so far he says that it has been difficult due to the fact that most children born there do not have a birth certificate to verify their age. It is because of that difficulty that he has begun to consider his own son.
At this point, I guess we’ll have to wait and see how this plays out, but it seems like a very real possibility that we’ll have another young child on Everest again next year, and climbing from the South Side.
Thanks to Alan Curr for sharing this article with me and his insights from Kathmandu.
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Previous story :
– Youngest On Everest: Worst Fears Realized?
– Everest 2010: Busy Weekend At The Summit.
– Everest 2010: Jordan and Apa Summit!
– Everest 2010: Teams Moving Up, Summit Bids Tonight!
– Everest 2010: North Side Summit!
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Edurne Claims Number 14, Summits on Everest!
– Everest 2010: Weather Window For Sunday?
– Everest 2010: More Teams Prepare For Summit Push.
– Everest 2010: Teams Hit BC!
– Everest 2010 wrap-up: hello Base Camp.
– Everest 2010: Jordan Romero Leaves For Kathmandu, Tibet Is Open!
– Everest 2010: Tibet Still Closed? Ice Doctors Going To Work!
– Annapurna 2010 wrap-up: more climbers arrive in BC – no cake on Pumori.
– Annapurna 2010 heads-up: Ferran Latorre evacuated, new additions.
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Kathmandu Busy, Base Camps Showing Signs of Life.
– Anna Barańska: My Everest – Mt Everest North Face International Expedition 2009, part 3.
– Anna Barańska: My Everest – Mt Everest North Face International Expedition 2009, part 2.
– Anna Barańska: My Everest – Mt Everest – North Face International Expedition 2009, part 1.
– Interview with Bernadette McDonald.
– Piotr Pustelnik: Przesuwanie granicy akceptowalnego ryzyka.
– Kinga Baranowska and Piotr Pustelnik new expedition – ANNAPURNA DREAM Expedition 2010.
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Tibet Closed as Spring Season Begins!
– The Gear Junkie Profiles Seven Summiteer.
– Interview with Mike Farris: Alone on Everest.
– March and April Climbing Events by American Alpine Institute.
– Interview with Anne-Mari Hyryläinen: The First Finnish Woman on Everest?
– Everest 2010: South Side Update from IMG’s Eric Simonson.
– Everest 2010: North Side Update from an Expert – Jamie McGuinness.
– The Great Himalaya Trail Set To Open Next Year!
– Everest — Gear For The Expedition.
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
** zapraszam na relacje z wypraw polskich himalaistów.
Filed under: Climbers, Expedition, Himalayas, Travel | Tagged: Climbers, Himalaya, Mount Everest, mountaineering, Nepal, Travel |