Author : Kraig Becker.
As the Fall Himalayan climbing season grinds to a finish, all eyes are on Everest and Eric Larsen as he attempts to finish off his Save The Poles Expedition in epic style. The polar explorer has already been to both the North and South Pole this year, and he’s hoping to complete the hat trick by knocking off Everest as well. But it isn’t going to be easy, and as the last man standing on the mountain, he’s got his work cut out for him. Worse yet, the weather may not be all that cooperative either.
According to his latest dispatch
, Eric reached Camp 3 today with winds that were on the rise, but still allowed him and his Sherpa guides to move forward. It was a long, slow slog up the Lhotse Face that involved few words and lots of heavy breathing.
Eric admits that they are playing with a very narrow weather window, and order to take advantage of it, they’ll need to be quick and have a little luck go in their way. The forecast for the next few days indicates that high winds are expected on Friday, his projected summit day.
The plan now is to move up to C4 tomorrow and rest for most of the day. If the winds aren’t too blustery, he’ll make a go at the summit with the hopes of topping out on Friday morning. It’s going to be a tough climb if he can pull it off, and if he does, it’ll be the only summit of the season.
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Previous story :
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen Begins Summit Push On Everest.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu update, Pauner about Manaslu summit, Everest C4, Lama Geshe recovering.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Summits On Manaslu and Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche on Dhaulagiri – three Japanese climbers and one Sherpa missing.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche May End Season On Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu summit push take 2, Manaslu teams ready.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Summit plans buried in the snow.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Climbers Injured In Avalanche on Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest summit push plans, TMA team deserts Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest sieged from both flanks, Cho Oyu C2, Manaslu C1.
– Himalayan 2010 wrap-up: the season’s soaked kick-off.
– ExWeb special on Everest 2010: The autumn of the solo climbers.
– Youngest On Everest Update: China Sets Age Limit On Everest.
– Youngest On Everest Update: Nepal Grants Sherpa Permission.
– Youngest On Everest: Worst Fears Realized?
– Everest 2010: Busy Weekend At The Summit.
– Everest 2010: Jordan and Apa Summit!
– Everest 2010: Teams Moving Up, Summit Bids Tonight!
– Everest 2010: North Side Summit!
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Edurne Claims Number 14, Summits on Everest!
– Everest 2010: Weather Window For Sunday?
– Everest 2010: More Teams Prepare For Summit Push.
– Everest 2010: Teams Hit BC!
– Everest 2010 wrap-up: hello Base Camp.
– Everest 2010: Jordan Romero Leaves For Kathmandu, Tibet Is Open!
– Everest 2010: Tibet Still Closed? Ice Doctors Going To Work!
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Kathmandu Busy, Base Camps Showing Signs of Life.
* Related Links :
– Himalaya Autumn 2010 expeditions.
– Previous on fall 2010 Everest teams
– Everest & Himalaya 2010 Season’s End Chronicle, take 5: Special report – The Spring of Annapurna.
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.
e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928
* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com
zapraszam do subskrypcji mego bloga
Filed under: Climbers, Expedition, Himalayas, Travel | Tagged: Climbers, Eric Larsen, Everest, Everest South side, Expedition, Himalaya, Himalaya 2010 Season’s, mountaineering, Nepal, Travel |