Author : Kraig Becker.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Major congratulations are going out to Eric Larsen this morning as he and his Sherpa guides have reached the summit of Everest this morning amidst calm, but steady winds. While details of the climb are yet to be released, Larsen did send a tweet back from the top of the world saying “Everest summit!” That was approximately four hours ago as of this writing, and at this point he and the Sherpas are making their way back down to Camp 4 for some much deserved rest.
* This image was originally posted to Flickr by babasteve at http://flickr.com/photos/64749744@N00/63165565
The summit of the highest mountain on the planet holds great significance for Erich today. Not only are he and his guides the last team on Everest at the moment, they are also the only ones to nab the summit this fall, which has been marked with incredibly bad weather, he has also finished his Save the Poles Expedition at long last, having now visited the North and South Pole, as well as the top of Everest, which is sometimes called the “Third Pole,” all in the same calendar year.
I’ve been following Eric’s progress since his expedition was announced last year, and updated frequently on his progress to both the Poles and now his Everest expedition as well. It is extremely gratifying to see him complete the task he set out to do. It has been one heck of a year for the explorer, and I think he deserves a nice break on a beach somewhere. Of course, he’ll most likely decide he wants to complete the Adventure Grand Slam and go off and get the rest of the Seven Summits, but for now, I’m sure, life is good.
At least have a steak at the Rum Doodle when you get back to Kathmandu Eric! Congratulations on a job well done. Now finish what you started and get back down safe.
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Previous story :
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen In Camp 3, High Winds Predicted For Summit Day.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen Begins Summit Push On Everest.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu update, Pauner about Manaslu summit, Everest C4, Lama Geshe recovering.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Summits On Manaslu and Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche on Dhaulagiri – three Japanese climbers and one Sherpa missing.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche May End Season On Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu summit push take 2, Manaslu teams ready.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Summit plans buried in the snow.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Climbers Injured In Avalanche on Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest summit push plans, TMA team deserts Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest sieged from both flanks, Cho Oyu C2, Manaslu C1.
– Himalayan 2010 wrap-up: the season’s soaked kick-off.
– ExWeb special on Everest 2010: The autumn of the solo climbers.
– Youngest On Everest Update: China Sets Age Limit On Everest.
– Youngest On Everest Update: Nepal Grants Sherpa Permission.
– Youngest On Everest: Worst Fears Realized?
– Everest 2010: Busy Weekend At The Summit.
– Everest 2010: Jordan and Apa Summit!
– Everest 2010: Teams Moving Up, Summit Bids Tonight!
– Everest 2010: North Side Summit!
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Edurne Claims Number 14, Summits on Everest!
– Everest 2010: Weather Window For Sunday?
– Everest 2010: More Teams Prepare For Summit Push.
– Everest 2010: Teams Hit BC!
– Everest 2010 wrap-up: hello Base Camp.
– Everest 2010: Jordan Romero Leaves For Kathmandu, Tibet Is Open!
– Everest 2010: Tibet Still Closed? Ice Doctors Going To Work!
– Himalaya 2010 climbing season: Kathmandu Busy, Base Camps Showing Signs of Life.
* Related Links :
– Himalaya Autumn 2010 expeditions.
– Previous on fall 2010 Everest teams
– Everest & Himalaya 2010 Season’s End Chronicle, take 5: Special report – The Spring of Annapurna.
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.
e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928
* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com
zapraszam do subskrypcji mego bloga
Filed under: Bez kategorii Tagged: | Climbers, Eric Larsen, Everest, Everest South side, Expedition, Himalaya, Himalaya 2010 Season’s, mountaineering, Nepal, Travel