Author : Kraig Becker.
My friend Rick McCharles, the editor of the Best Hike Blog, has started another one of his great top ten countdowns to end the year. This year, that list is his picks for the Top 10 Hiking Towns Worldwide, and if anyone knows hiking towns, it’s Rick. He hikes everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, in his never ending pursuit of the perfect trail.
To earn a spot on Rick’s top ten list, a hiking town needs to meet a few criteria. For instance, it needs to be located close to a major trailhead of course and it has to have a good gear shop or three to provide last minute provisions before you set out. It should also have a unique and memorable place to stay, and a great restaurant doesn’t hurt the cause either.
With that in mind, Rick has already announced his first two selections that meet that description. Coming in at number 10 on his list is Moab, Utah which is located in the eastern portion of that state, not far from the Canyonlands. Rick describes Moab as a “fantastic jumping off point for outdoor adventure” and lauds it not only for its great trails, but also great rock climbing and mountain biking opportunities.
Joining Moab on the list at number 9 is Zermatt, Switzerland, which comes as no surprise to the adventure travel crowd. Zermatt sits in the shadow of the Matterhorn, perhaps the most iconic peak in all the Alps. It is all one end of the famous Haute Route, which is a spectacular trek that leads to Chamonix, France. Rick says there are trails all over the Alps, and this is one of the best places to explore them, just don’t let the resort atmosphere fool you and, as he says, “Ignore the posturing Eurotrash”
Can’t wait to see what town comes in at number 8!
* see – Welcome to the Destination Zermatt – Matterhorn
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Related Links : – Trekking.
** Previous story :
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11 – Sponsorship offer.
– Gasherbrum II Winter Expedition 2010/2011.
– Merry Christmas Wishes 2010.
– AAC Book Club: Winter Book Club Dates in Golden.
– VIII KFG – 8th Krakow Mountain Film Festival. VIII edycja Krakowskiego Festiwalu Górskiego. /Version english and polish/
– Hundreds Of Trekkers Stuck In Lukla – Nepal.
– Book Review: The Summit by Eric Alexander.
– First Pakistani Women on Winter Expedition In the Karakorum Pakistan.
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11. Zimowa wyprawa PZA na Broad Peak 2010/11.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Season Finally Ends On Lhotse.
– Everest Climbing Legend Missing On Baruntse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: More From Lhotse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Lhotse Update!
– Everest 2011 season – Expeditions with any British Teams or Britons.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Shisha Pangma and Manaslu summit reports.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Solo Summit Bid On Lhotse.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest fall season summits and Cho Oyu too.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Summits Everest, Completes Save The Poles Expedition!
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen In Camp 3, High Winds Predicted For Summit Day.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen Begins Summit Push On Everest.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu update, Pauner about Manaslu summit, Everest C4, Lama Geshe recovering.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Summits On Manaslu and Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche on Dhaulagiri – three Japanese climbers and one Sherpa missing.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche May End Season On Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu summit push take 2, Manaslu teams ready.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Summit plans buried in the snow.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Climbers Injured In Avalanche on Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest summit push plans, TMA team deserts Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest sieged from both flanks, Cho Oyu C2, Manaslu C1.
– Himalayan 2010 wrap-up: the season’s soaked kick-off.
– ExWeb special on Everest 2010: The autumn of the solo climbers.
* Related Links :
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : GOKYO, KALA PATTAR and EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK (19 days).
– Everest Base Camp – CLASSIC treks. / Version polish and english /
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : EVEREST HIGH VALLEY – Travel Guide. /Version english/
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.
e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928
* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com
Filed under: Hiking, Travel, trekking | Tagged: Adventure Travel, hiking, Hiking Towns, Travel, trekking |