Author : Kraig Becker.
With the holidays hitting at the end of last week, I didn’t have the opportunity to post Best Hike’s picks for the final two spots on its Top Ten Hiking Towns in the World. In the run up to Christmas, site editor Rick McCharles has been posting his selection of favorite towns to serve as a base camp for some of the top trekking destinations around the globe, and he completed that list on Christmas Day announcing his top choice.
But before we reveal what the number one hiking town is, we have to take a look at number 2. That honor goes to Huaraz, Peru, which is described as a “trekker’s paradise” thanks to its proximity to the Cordillera Blanca and Cordillera Negra mountain ranges, not to mention Cordillera Huayhuash, which Rick says is for the hardcore trekker. He also says that despite the regional population reaching 100,000 people, the town still feels like a remote mountain village. He also gives it points for not having an airport, thanks in part because all the tourists fly to Cusco and leave this corner of the Andes alone.
Finally, the number one hiking town on the Best Hike list is Queenstown, New Zealand, which is described as the Adventure Capital of the World. Queenstown has a little something to offer any outdoor enthusiast, including hiking and trekking of course, but also skiing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, bungee jumping, and more. The town of 10,000 people offers access to the excellent Routeburn and Kepler Tracks, as well as the Milford Track, which is largely considered to be amongst the best hiking trails anywhere in the world.
So, there you have it, the list i snow complete. With 2011 just a few days away, it’s time to start planning a visit to one or more of these towns. It seems you can’t go wrong with any of them. Thanks to Rick for sharing his considerable expertise with all of us. Great list!
top 10 hiking towns in the world
1) Queenstown, New Zealand
2) Huaraz, Peru
3) Namche Bazaar, Nepal
4) Cortina, Italy
5) Chamonix, France
6) Banff, Canada
7) Grindelwald, Switzerland
8/ El Calafate, Argentina
9) Zermatt, Switzerland
10) Moab, Utah
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Related Links : – Trekking.
** Previous story :
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #4 and #3.
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #5-#8.
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #10 and #9 Revealed.
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11 – Sponsorship offer.
– Gasherbrum II Winter Expedition 2010/2011.
– Merry Christmas Wishes 2010.
– AAC Book Club: Winter Book Club Dates in Golden.
– VIII KFG – 8th Krakow Mountain Film Festival. VIII edycja Krakowskiego Festiwalu Górskiego. /Version english and polish/
– Hundreds Of Trekkers Stuck In Lukla – Nepal.
– Book Review: The Summit by Eric Alexander.
– First Pakistani Women on Winter Expedition In the Karakorum Pakistan.
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11. Zimowa wyprawa PZA na Broad Peak 2010/11.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Season Finally Ends On Lhotse.
– Everest Climbing Legend Missing On Baruntse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: More From Lhotse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Lhotse Update!
– Everest 2011 season – Expeditions with any British Teams or Britons.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Shisha Pangma and Manaslu summit reports.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Solo Summit Bid On Lhotse.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest fall season summits and Cho Oyu too.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Summits Everest, Completes Save The Poles Expedition!
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen In Camp 3, High Winds Predicted For Summit Day.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen Begins Summit Push On Everest.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu update, Pauner about Manaslu summit, Everest C4, Lama Geshe recovering.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Summits On Manaslu and Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche on Dhaulagiri – three Japanese climbers and one Sherpa missing.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche May End Season On Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu summit push take 2, Manaslu teams ready.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Summit plans buried in the snow.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Climbers Injured In Avalanche on Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest summit push plans, TMA team deserts Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest sieged from both flanks, Cho Oyu C2, Manaslu C1.
– Himalayan 2010 wrap-up: the season’s soaked kick-off.
– ExWeb special on Everest 2010: The autumn of the solo climbers.
* Related Links :
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : GOKYO, KALA PATTAR and EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK (19 days).
– Everest Base Camp – CLASSIC treks. / Version polish and english /
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : EVEREST HIGH VALLEY – Travel Guide. /Version english/
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.
e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928
* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com
Filed under: Hiking, Travel, trekking | Tagged: Adventure Travel, hiking, Hiking Towns, New Zealand, Queenstown, Travel, trekking |