Author : Kraig Becker.
This past weekend, our friend Alan Arnette flew off to Argentina where he is attempting to climb Aconcagua, the tallest mountain in South America, as part of his 7 Summits Climbs for Alzheimer’s. Alan is currently en route to the mountain, which stands 6962 meters (22,841 ft) in height. While it is a mostly non-technical climb, at least along the regular route, the altitude alone is enough to cause some problems for those that are unprepared.
Aconcagua is the highest mountain in the Americas 6,962 metres (22,841 ft), and the highest mountain outside Asia.
Alan will not arrive in BC for a few more days yet, as he and his IMG guides are now in Mendoza awaiting the rest of the team and preparing the last of their gear before purchasing their climbing permits for the mountain. Expect good updates at every step of the process, as Alan always does an excellent job of keeping us informed of his progress and giving great insights into what it is like to climb the mountain he is currently on. I expect no less this time, especially considering that he has already successfully climbed Aconcagua in the past.
An example of Alan’s great work is the video below, during which he talks about his prep work for the mountain and shows off the gear he’s using on this climb. He doesn’t just show us the individual pieces however, as he actually shows us each piece in regards to where it is used during the climb. It is very insightful for those that wonder where all that gear is put to use.
* Source : – http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/
* Related Links : – Trekking.
– Climb Aconcagua – one of the Seven Summits list. /Version english and polish/
** Previous story :
– How important are Sherpa’s on Mount Everest?
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #2 and #1.
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #4 and #3.
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #5-#8.
– Best Hike’s Top Ten Hiking Towns Worldwide: #10 and #9 Revealed.
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11 – Sponsorship offer.
– Gasherbrum II Winter Expedition 2010/2011.
– Merry Christmas Wishes 2010.
– AAC Book Club: Winter Book Club Dates in Golden.
– VIII KFG – 8th Krakow Mountain Film Festival. VIII edycja Krakowskiego Festiwalu Górskiego. /Version english and polish/
– Hundreds Of Trekkers Stuck In Lukla – Nepal.
– Book Review: The Summit by Eric Alexander.
– First Pakistani Women on Winter Expedition In the Karakorum Pakistan.
– Polish winter expedition to Broad Peak 2010/11. Zimowa wyprawa PZA na Broad Peak 2010/11.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Season Finally Ends On Lhotse.
– Everest Climbing Legend Missing On Baruntse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: More From Lhotse.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Lhotse Update!
– Everest 2011 season – Expeditions with any British Teams or Britons.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Shisha Pangma and Manaslu summit reports.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Solo Summit Bid On Lhotse.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest fall season summits and Cho Oyu too.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Summits Everest, Completes Save The Poles Expedition!
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen In Camp 3, High Winds Predicted For Summit Day.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Eric Larsen Begins Summit Push On Everest.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu update, Pauner about Manaslu summit, Everest C4, Lama Geshe recovering.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Summits On Manaslu and Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche on Dhaulagiri – three Japanese climbers and one Sherpa missing.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Avalanche May End Season On Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Cho Oyu summit push take 2, Manaslu teams ready.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Summit plans buried in the snow.
– Himalaya Fall 2010: Climbers Injured In Avalanche on Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest summit push plans, TMA team deserts Cho Oyu.
– Himalaya 2010 wrap-up: Everest sieged from both flanks, Cho Oyu C2, Manaslu C1.
– Himalayan 2010 wrap-up: the season’s soaked kick-off.
– ExWeb special on Everest 2010: The autumn of the solo climbers.
* Related Links :
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : GOKYO, KALA PATTAR and EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK (19 days).
– Everest Base Camp – CLASSIC treks. / Version polish and english /
– Trekking in Nepal Himalaya : EVEREST HIGH VALLEY – Travel Guide. /Version english/
* Polish Himalayas – Become a Fan
Exweb Week-In-Review is sponsored by HumanEdgeTech the world’s premier supplier of expedition technology. Our team helps you find ultra light expedition tech that works globally.
e-mail or call +1 212 966 1928
* Read these stories – and more! – at ExplorersWeb.com
Filed under: Climbers, Events, Hiking, Seven Summits, Travel, trekking, trekking peaks Tagged: | 7 Summits, Aconcagua, Alan Arnette, Argentina, mountaineering, Seven Summits, South America, Travel, trekking